Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kevin James' Tour Beer Blog: Part 1

The people that know me can tell you that one of the first things I do when entering a pub is see what local brew they have. Let me put this disclaimer out there…I am not a drunk, I am a beer connoisseur. I thoroughly enjoy the taste of a fresh local brew. Well, when we set out on tour I thought it would be neat to share some of my opinions on local beers along the way so here are a few.

Brewer: Odell Brewing Company
Brew: 90 Shilling
Type: American Amber/Red Ale


I had a pint on tap at The Cork in Fort Collins, CO. I’m not the biggest fan Red Ales but I certainly enjoyed this one. It was presented to me with a nice frothy head, copper in color and had a nice carbonation that kept consistent throughout the duration of the beer’s life. It was hoppy for a Red Ale and I personally am quite keen of hops. It had a slight citrus spice flavor but not in an overwhelming manner and had a hint of smoky malt flavor. The combination was just enough to leave the tongue wanting another sip when hitting the bottom of the glass.
GRADE: B+

Brewer: Spilker Ales
Brew: Hopluia
Type: English India Pale Ale


I had a pint on tap at Duggan’s Pub in Lincoln, NE. Let me just say I am a hop fan. The more hops the better so the name of this beer alone was enough to lure me in. It is a dark red/orange color. Upon receipt it had a wonderful aroma of pine, minty hops and I was looking forward to the first sip. To my disappointment it tasted like watered down beer. I thought I might have been insane so I asked Coate and Vincent to try it as well to decipher whether it was me or the beer. It was the beer. I was very unhappy with this and thankfully “The Mole” gave me this one on the house. I will try this beer one more time if I come across it again due to some of the reviews I’ve read giving it many compliments.
GRADE: D

Brewer: Left Hand Brewing
Brew: Haystack Wheat
Type: Hefeweizen


I had a pint on tap at The Dark Horse Tavern in Boulder, CO. Wheat beers are a personal favorite of mine, especially in the warm weather which we have been enjoying on the road. This beer was pretty good. It is golden orange in color and not cloudy at all. I was very happy with the hints of lemon, clove and banana. They were subtle enough to not make me feel like I was drinking fruit in a cup. Some wheats are far too fruity for me. All in all it was a refreshing beer and I enjoyed it.
GRADE: B-

Brewer: Odell Brewing Company
Brew: Easy Street Wheat
Type: American Pale Wheat Ale


I had a pint on tap at JJ’s Bar in Laramie, WY. To reiterate my beer review above I am partial to wheat beers. I personally enjoyed this wheat the best out of the ones I’ve had on the road. It pours a dark golden haze with a nice white head. At first sip it has a light banana malty taste. Following up that is the fine taste of yeasty wheat. It has a slight wheat cracker taste but nothing offensive. The drink itself is dry and it contains great carbonation. If you’re looking for a refreshing summer beer this is it.
GRADE: A-

Thanks for reading about my beer reviews and if you come across any of these let me know your thoughts. Do you have any local brews that you suggest whether it be in your town or one you've come across that you dig?  If so, why?  I’d love to hear about them!

Kevin James

2 comments:

  1. Hopluia deserved an F----, it was just an extremely watered down Sierra Nevada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep these coming, Kev. I feel like drinking beer is an art now. :-)

    ReplyDelete