Monday, August 24, 2009

'Birthday Suits for Bender' - Sept 5th @ the Elbo Room

This past year I have made many new friends in the 'industry'. A lot of them have been made by attending shows, others have been made when touring, but a majority of these new friends came out of my experience working with Chicago Noise Machine. It is easy to make friends when you are joining a group of like minded individuals, but I never thought I would get so close to so many bands and individuals! One of the closest friends I have made in these experiences is Brian Bender.

I first met Brian booking a show at the Elbo Room. I was upset to find that good ol' Skip Warner had moved on from talent buying and this new guy, Brian Bender, would now be handling the shows. He vibrated at a higher frequency and his laughed creeped me out. Needless to say our first conversation turned out pleasant and I looked forward to working with him again. The date has slipped away from me. It was sometime last year...but ironically enough the first bill we booked with Brian had one of the bands cancel. In order to not leave a gaping whole in the night A Birdsong Valentine, a band that Brian sang in, rushed over from an earlier gig and filled up the slot. That was a really stand up thing to do and also gave me a chance to meet Brian face to face and for Reverie to melt his face off.

Later on in August of 2008 we joined forces with Chicago Noise Machine and ever since I have been working with Brian (and many other lovelies) on a day to day basis. Even without Chicago Noise Machine I would have seen Brian out at shows or on stage, but Chicago Noise Machine keeps us REALLY close. We have since had the opportunity to work closely on all Chicago Noise Machine endeavors. I probably spent at least on hour on the phone with him daily and had endless number of emails shared during the grueling creation of the first I AM FEST.

Every year Brian has an annual birthday bash. If you have ever seen the flyer it says "Brian Bender's ______ Annual Birthday Bash" and there is a picture of Brian's face smashed up against a pane of glass (example from last year HERE or to the right if you're reading this on Blogger). This will be the third year he is having it at the Elbo Room. I was surprised to recently find out that Brian has never seen the Elbo Room sold out. This is surprising because he WORKS really hard with the bands he books and on the Elbo Room. This man deserves a sold out show. Usually A Birdsong Valentine performs at Brian's Birthday Bash, but unfortunately the band has decided to move on to new opportunities, thus leaving a gaping hole in the night of Sept 5th. When Brian offered the slot to Reverie I couldn't resist. Not only would I love to perform at my friends birthday party, but if you can recall from earlier REVERIE owes A Birdsong Valentine a solid.

I want to sell out the Elbo Room for Brian and I want to be part of the first sold out show since Brian has been at the Elbo Room. Brian is an integral part of the 'scene' or 'industry' if you prefer, and any and all bands, other industry folk, and friends should help make this happen! Reverie is making the ultimate sacrifice. Say goodbye to cool jackets and tight jeans....

In order to give Brian his ultimate birthday wish we (Reverie) have agreed to play naked if the Elbo Room sells out on Sept. 5th (Brian Bender's 3rd Annual Birthday Bash). Lets give this man what he wants. After all.... It is his birthday!

'Birthday Suits for Bender' - Sept 5th. @ The Elbo Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment